Sunday, March 29, 2009

What you need to know.

Greetings and Salutations!!!

This is the first time I'm doing a blog about music. I don't plan to confine it to one genre. I do plan to keep the files small in volume. After long hours downloading massive files of flacs that take up more space then I care about, I began to use oggs. Let me tell you a bit about them. If you are informed, skip the next paragraph.

Ogg Vorbis was developed by the Xiph.org Foundation. It's called Ogg Vorbis because the file is Vorbis-encoded audio in an ogg container. Oggs are also a free codec and Open Source. What this means is that it can be implemented into devices such a DAPs without any fees going to the originator. The Open Source designation means that if anyone can play around with the codec as they see fit. The way Xiph.org sees it oggs are “as an ethically, legally and technically superior audio alternative to the proprietary MP3 format.”
They also liberate valuable bytes on your hard drive!

Here, I will be uploading .oggs and .ogas. There is no difference between the two. Xiph.org wants people to start using .oga for audio (.ogv for video and .ogx for applications).

In the sidebar, you'll find links for downloading and installing the codecs. They are the actual pages.

That's about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment